Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: restore a specific directory
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 22:39:56 -0400

On Aug 14, 2008, at 2:01 PM, Max Duessar wrote:
$ sudo rdiff-backup -v5 -r 1B /Volumes/Backup320/var/mysql/ /tempp/ mysql

Starting restore of /Volumes/Backup320/var/mysql to /tempp/mysql as it
was as of Wed Aug 13 02:04:41 2008.
Processing changed file .
Restore finished
$ ls -1a /tempp/
.
..

Well that certainly seems strange.

What happens if you do '-r 0B' (meaning, restore the current backup), which should be the same as '-r now'? If those work, then the problem is with your increments and you should do:

sudo rdiff-backup --list-increments /Volumes/Backup320/

If those do not work, then you should look at the permissions on / Volumes/Backup320/ or try with a higher verbosity, '-v 8'.

Also, what command line are you using to run rdiff-backup?

Does it have to do with those ACL errors/warnings? Let me know if I
should try something else. Also, does -r 3D mean _exactly_ 3 days ago
from the second/minute/hour you run rdiff-backup? or does it mean the
closest backup that ran 3 days ago?

No, the ACL errors/warnings do not affect this. '-r 3D' means, if I recall correctly, "restore how the directory looked exactly three days ago from right now". See the 'RESTORING' section of the man page for exact details.

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup.1.html

Also, since you have a /Volumes folder, I assume you are using a Mac. Did you uncheck the 'Ignore Permissions on this Volume' option in the Finder? (Select the Backup320 volume, then go to File -> Get Info)

Andrew