Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What does 'Attempt to rename over same inode' m

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What does 'Attempt to rename over same inode' mean?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 12:58:15 -0400

On Aug 10, 2008, at 8:17 AM, Patrick Nagel wrote:
today's backup gave me the following message:

Warning: Attempt to rename over same inode:
/mnt/sdb1/backup/some/path/rdiff-backup.tmp.3491 to
/mnt/sdb1/backup/some/path/some_filename

Is it something I need to worry about?

Hi Patrick,

Yes, you should worry about this. It indicates that the directory /mnt/ sdb1/backup/some/path/ has duplicate inodes.

If you do `ls -li` in that directory, it will list the inode numbers. IIRC, the inode number for "some_filename" will be duplicated in that list.

A good e2fsck will hopefully sort that out. Check the mailing list archives for more information, as I recall a recent problem like this.

good luck,
Andrew