Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Status of native Windows port?

From: Michael Crider
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Status of native Windows port?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:59:10 -0500

Josh Nisly wrote:
Michael Crider wrote:
Josh Nisly wrote:
I'm not terribly familiar with the --include and --exclude options, but the problems you're having don't seem to be specific to Windows. Why don't you use rdiff-backup --no-hard-links -v5 C:\DIRNAME address@hidden::/root/windowsbackup ?

Josh, in my example I only used one include directory, but in real life we select a handful of directories out of a single drive that we want to backup. That is why I wanted to get it working with those options.
Could you please include the exact errors you are getting?
I'll have to get back with you on those. I tried several different approaches not sure that the expected syntax should be for Windows, so I credited most errors to not having correct syntax. The main user of the Windows workstation I used for testing was on vacation last week, but he's back now, so I'll have to find another opportune time to continue testing.

Armando M. Baratti wrote:
Maybe you can, tentatively, mount locally the windows sharing though cifs on the Linux machine and proceed like in a local backup.
That is exactly the way we do it now. I just was testing to see if using the native Windows port would be any faster.
My guess is that running on Windows natively will increase performance only if you are backing up over a lan.

... and that is what I am doing - backing up the Windows workstations to a Linux backup server on the lan. Besides possible performance gains, I also could turn off sharing completely on most of the workstations.
--
Michael Crider
Howell-Oregon Electric Cooperative

believed to be clean.