Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version difference problem

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Version difference problem
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:10:46 -0400

On Jul 24, 2008, at 1:39 AM, feffer wrote:
I've been backing up my linux workstation with rdiff-backup. The backup server runs debian stable (it is a Linksys NSLU), but the workstation runs debian sid. As a result there is a version difference for rdiff on the two systems. On test backups, rdiff always complains about this, but runs anyway. To keep the version difference close, I "hold" rdiff on the ws. Because of the "hold" rdiff got out of sync with some dependancies, I think, and dpkg showed it only "half" installed. I got some errors in the backup.log as well. So I took the "hold" off and let it upgrade to 1.1.17. However, on the server rdiff was ver. 1.1.14. I guess this difference was too much and the backups failed.

To fix it, I went back and reinstalled testing ver 1.1.16 on the ws, and now it's working again. This seems like a problem that will keep coming back though. How can I work around this? Any ideas? :(

Sometimes during this development cycle bug fixes required that incompatible changes be made. The result has been that the most recent development version has almost always been more stable than its predecessors. I do not know what rationale the Debian project uses to let so many different versions exist as the "latest" in the various package universes. It seems strange to me.

At any rate, a new stable branch, 1.2.0 will be released in a few days so that it will be in time for the freeze for Debian's next stable distribution. I am trying to accommodate them.

If you still have it, can you send in the error message that you got when trying to use 1.1.14 and 1.1.17 ? I'm curious.

Andrew