Re: [rdiff-backup-users] using rdiff-backup on complete drives

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] using rdiff-backup on complete drives
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:26:20 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Madan Kumar wrote:

> When I execute this command to restore it: :
> $rdiff-backup -r now Dest I:/
> It gives me a long error message.

It is exactly this long error message that can tell you what's wrong.
My guess is that you try to restore into a non-empty directory. In your
case, I:\ does contain files and restoring to a directory that has files
in it is (in most cases) a Bad Thing.

Usually when restoring data from a backup, you restore to another
directory, for example I:\restore. If rdiff-backup finished the restore
operation, you take the parts of the backup you want to have restored, and
move them to their place in I:\somewhere
A move-operation on the same filesystem should be instant, i.e. not
requiring data to be copied and removed. Files are just linked to another
directory and unlinked in the original place.

> Please suggest me some way so I can get it.

If this information isn't enough, place post the "long error message" you
get when trying to restore to I:\

HTH,
 Maarten