Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.17 released

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.17 released
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:42:48 -0400

On Jul 21, 2008, at 12:19 AM, Oliver Hookins wrote:

On Fri Jul 18, 2008 at 15:38:33 +1000, Oliver Hookins wrote:
On Thu Jul 17, 2008 at 09:09:40 -0400, Andrew Ferguson wrote:

The plan is to release this version as a new stable branch, 1.2.0 in
about ten days.

Before then, I am interested in exploring the SELinux issue and Oliver
Hookins' problems. With respect to SELinux, rdiff-backup just relies
upon Python's distutils to build the libraries, so it will require some
digging to see why the SELinux chcon command is needed.

Well I'm happy to provide any diagnostic information you would like to aid with this. Part of the problem to me seems like there is no logging on the client side - so if something goes wrong that isn't communicated to the server you have a difficult time finding out what went wrong. But I guess
this wouldn't be trivial to implement.

This is very bizarre, a handful of my machines all failed the backup last
night with the same error which is one I haven't seen before:

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
   rdiff_backup.Main.error_check_Main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 302,
in error_check_Main
   try: Main(arglist)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 319,
in Main
   rps = map(SetConnections.cmdpair2rp, cmdpairs)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ SetConnections.py",
line 76, in cmdpair2rp
   if cmd: conn = init_connection(cmd)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ SetConnections.py",
line 146, in init_connection
   check_connection_version(conn, remote_cmd)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ SetConnections.py",
line 154, in check_connection_version
   try: remote_version = conn.Globals.get('version')
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ connection.py", line
447, in __call__
   return apply(self.connection.reval, (self.name,) + args)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ connection.py", line
367, in reval
   result = self.get_response(req_num)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ connection.py", line
314, in get_response
   try: req_num, object = self._get()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ connection.py", line
239, in _get
   data = self._read(length)
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/ connection.py", line
209, in _read
   try: return self.inpipe.read(length)
OverflowError: requested number of bytes is more than a Python string can
hold
Fatal Error: Lost connection to the remote system

Any ideas about this one?

Oh, I think I've seen this before. I believe you have made a configuration mistake with your shell or some such -- I believe that rdiff-backup is not being found in the path and starting properly. You should manually SSH in and see what's going on. Also, the ' -v9 ' option might help.

That traceback indicates that rdiff-backup on the source side has asked the destination side for its version number. The destination side responded with something entirely bogus. I seem to recall seeing that happen when rdiff-backup was not properly setup on the destination side. Instead of rdiff-backup running like usual, the shell had responded with "Can't find rdiff-backup, please ask the system administrator" or some non-sense like that.

Andrew