Re: [rdiff-backup-users] problem while restoring

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] problem while restoring
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:57:47 -0400

On Jul 17, 2008, at 7:33 AM, Madan Kumar wrote:

Hi All,
I am using rdiff-backup on windows XP and on Vista.
I am abe to take the backups successfully.
While restoring backups I am running following command:
address@hidden ~
$ rdiff-backup --force -r now adest/ I:/adest1

{adest/ keeps backup+incrementals; adest1/ is the Directory where to restore the backups }

I am easily restoring the data from current mirror ie by using above command. It restore current data(no problem).
I am able to restore the data with latest incremental(that I have taken one day back) by using following command::
address@hidden ~
$ rdiff-backup --force -r 1D adest/ I:/adest1

But when I try to restore the data with second last (or any older incremental) that I have taken two days back by using following command::
$ rdiff-backup --force -r 2D adest/ I:/adest1

Hi Madan,

This is an unusual error and indicates that rdiff-backup is having some trouble with the actual files it thinks it is restoring from. Since you mention that you are using it on Windows, it may take time to sort this out. First, here are some questions:

What version of rdiff-backup are you using?

Are you using Cygwin? Or are you using the new native Windows port?

What version of Python?

What filesystem are your drives using? Are they network-mounted?

Can you do the restores without using the --force option? That option can be dangerous and not do what you intend.

Can you restore using one of the other date arguments? For example, "rdiff-backup -r 1B" or "rdiff-backup -r 2B" or "rdiff-backup -r 3B" etc.

Finally, try running rdiff-backup with a higher level of verbosity, such as -v8 and sending the output to the mailing list. This will help show exactly which file rdiff-backup is working on when it encounters the failure. After you know which file is causing the failure, you can then go and find out more about that file. In this case, we know that Python is not reporting that it is of type 'FileType' -- that leads to the question, well, what type is it?

Andrew