Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Installed rdiff-backup on Windows using MinGW

From: Josh Nisly
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Installed rdiff-backup on Windows using MinGW
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:38:58 +0600

Andrew Ferguson wrote:
On Jul 2, 2008, at 5:52 AM, Mico Siahaan wrote:

Hi,

I tried to install rdiff-backup 1.1.16 in my Windows using MinGW. What I did:
1. Download librsync-0.9.7.
2. Compiled librsync using MinGW (success)
3. Put librsync in proper folder under MinGW
4. Download rdiff-backup-1.1.16
5. python setup.py build --compiler-mingw32 bdist_wininst (seemed OK)
6. Installed the module
7. Run python rdiff-backup, then appear error message: no module named grp.

I knew because user_group.py import grp and pwd. But in my system no such modules. Please suggest how to fix it.

Hi Mico,

Thanks for giving rdiff-backup a try under Windows. As you discovered, the current version still has some rough edges.

However, the latest version in CVS has four more Windows-specific fixes, including one for the very issue you encountered. Josh Nisly and Fred Gansevles have been hard at work on porting rdiff-backup to native Windows.

You can check-out the CVS version with this command:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/rdiff-backup co rdiff-backup

That should work for you! Please post to the list if the CVS version gives you any problems.

best,
Andrew

This reminds me of something else - the reason that I've needed to use Visual Studio 2003 so far is because of weirdnesses with the way that Windows' C libraries use file descriptors. However, now that Windows doesn't use make_file_dict, we may be able to use MinGW. I'd like that simply because it would be easier to script and would allow us to use free software from start to finish. (Not to mention that one can't even buy VS2003 anymore...)

JoshN