Re: [rdiff-backup-users] DIFFs using rdiff-backup

From: Paul Bijnens
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] DIFFs using rdiff-backup
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:56:46 +0200

On 2008-06-27 12:25, Madan Kumar wrote:
Hi all,
(I am posting the same post second time because I did not get any reply yet, may be first post has lost. Please pardon me for that)

Maybe because you're very unclear about what you want to accomplish...

Do you want to diffs or do you want a backup?

If you want the diffs, then use the "diff" program (or maybe even "xdelta"
for a binary diff if that is available in some windows version).

Or are you looking for some version control system to manage and track
changes in files.  In that case have a look at subversion:
 http://subversion.tigris.org

If you want a backup, then I do not understand what your problem is...

I am using rdiff-backup on windows(Vista & XP ).
I have installed rdiff-backup by following the steps given in http://katastrophos.net/andre/blog/2005/11/02/rdiff-backup-on-windows/ link using CYGWIN. When I run the command on cygwin command prompt(I dont know what to say it) rdiff-backup working fine and I am able to take the backup as well as incrementals smoothly.
I am executing following command::

              address@hidden ~
              $ *rdiff-backup -b D:/Source/  D:/dest/*
It is storing the mirror of Source directory's file to dest/. When I make some changes to "Source\file.txt" and again take the back up by running *same command, *I get one DIFF file in subdirectory of Dest/. It is fine. This Diff file contains *extra reverse diffs between* both files (Source\file.txt and dest\file.txt). BUT I do not require reverse diffs. I require Diffs of these two files Source\file.txt and dest\file.txt.
That is the data that added or deleted  to source file.
Suppose I have one 2KB text(Source\source.txt) file and I am taking the backup of it to Dest\ directory. Now If i add 1KB of data to source.txt file and again I am taking the incremental backup of it then this time I require this 1KB of data that is added(not old 2KB data). Please guide me for getting this. If there is any command for this please provide me.
I really need your suggestions.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
http://www.xplanation.com/          email:  address@hidden