Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Keyerror strikes again

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Keyerror strikes again
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:24:19 -0400

On Jun 22, 2008, at 6:53 PM, Kingsley G. Morse Jr. wrote:

Hi Andrew,

That's a good question.

I should have mentioned that I'm using version
1.1.15-2+b1.

Thanks,
Kingsley

On 06/22/08 18:45, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
On Jun 22, 2008, at 6:41 PM, Kingsley G. Morse Jr. wrote:

To whom it may concern,

diff-backup is based on a good concept, and I've
used it for years.

However, for no apparent reason, it started
crashing three days ago.

Its stderr follows...

 This is probably caused by a bug in versions 1.0.0 and earlier.
 Exception '('mnt', 'backup', 'palace', 'rdiff-backup-data',
'increments', 'dev', '.static')' raised of class '<type
'exceptions.KeyError'>':

Kingsley,

It looks like it is backing up your /dev directory on the server 'palace' -- is this correct? Does that fit with how you are running rdiff-backup?

If so, how many files are in your /dev directory? There's a fix in rdiff-backup 1.1.16 for a situation in which a KeyError can occur when there are around 1999 files in a single directory. I'm not positive that that is the same error you are getting, but it does produce similar symptoms.

Andrew