Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify a rdiff-backup directory after copying t

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Verify a rdiff-backup directory after copying to another machine via rsync
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:20:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:

> I did this via rsync, and now I would like to verify, that all the snapshots
> are OK. I did a du over the whole tree, and the trees are not equal size - I
> know, this can be related to the filesystem.

Although this would not check the rdiff-backup sanity, it might get you an
idea about the rsync process: on both machines, cd to the rdiff-backup
repo and do
find . -type f -print0 | sort -z | xargs -0r md5sum > /tmp/md5sums
And then compare ( diff -u /tmp/md5sums /tmp/md5sums_from_other_machine )
these two files.
If you also have special devices in your repo, you could list those with
something like
find . -not -type f -print0 | sort -z | xargs -0r ls -l
But that would not be easily diffable I'm afraid.

Aside from that, a method to check sanity for increment X, or date Y,
would be nice. I think such a check would be even necessary before one
could properly implement a way to merge a number of increments.
Maybe I should get into learning Python to build such a feature.

HTH,
 Maarten