Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Traceback and AssertionError

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Traceback and AssertionError
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:56:10 -0400

On Apr 24, 2008, at 12:15 PM, Francisco Paco Peralta wrote:
Lately I have been getting the following error and I do not know what I need to do to correct it, any help will be greatly appreciated.  I am running  version 1.0.5 on Fedora 7.

  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 156, in init_readwrite
    self.set_eas(subdir, 1)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 314, in set_eas
    assert xattr.getxattr(rp.path, "user.test") == "test val"
AssertionError

Hi,

rdiff-backup is failing while testing if your filesystem supports extended attributes. I know the development version (1.1.15) supports skipping this test if you run with the --no-eas option, but the 1.0.5 version does not. You will need to make the xattr module unavailable to avoid the test (or comment it out).

On a side note, it is strange that rdiff-backup is failing at this point. What this means is that the following situation occurred:

- rdiff-backup successfully imported the python xattr module for extended attributes support

- a listxattr(path) call succeeded without raising an error, suggesting that extended attributes can be read

- a setxattr(path, "user.test", "test val") call succeeded without raising an error, suggesting that extended attributes can be set

- a getxattr(path, "user.test') succeeded without raising an error ... but it did not say that "test val" was the value of that attribute!

Has something changed in your system setup?

Andrew