Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Unicode error while running rdiff-backup

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Unicode error while running rdiff-backup
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:53:21 -0400

On Apr 22, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Saptarshi Guha wrote:

Hello,
I ran rdiff-backup --exclude ~/Library/Caches ~/Library address@hidden::/ Library
        during this process i got the following error(emphasis mine)
        I'm not sure the error is related tot the Citrix ICA client file.
        How do i fix this **without** needing to exclude specific files.

Hi Saptarshi,

To the best of my knowledge, rdiff-backup has not been well tested with Unicode filenames, particularly between operating systems.

Unicode support in Python has evolved over the years, and thus it would be difficult to add it to rdiff-backup while still maintaining our compatibility with Python 2.2. Unicode strings are currently a separate type and would require making sure that all of rdiff-backup's code, and the libraries on which it relies, can handle either type.

The forthcoming Python 3.0 (to be released later this year, I understand) will break backwards compatibility with Python 2.x and will, at that time, represent all strings as Unicode. rdiff-backup will move to Python 3 at some time, and will then have the Unicode filename support that you seek.

All that said, patches to support unicode in rdiff-backup on Python 2.2 - 2.5 are, of course, welcome.

best,
Andrew