Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Native Windows Port

From: Patrick Nagel
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Native Windows Port
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:14:09 +0800

Hi Josh,

Josh Nisly (Friday, 2008-04-04):
> I'm attempting to make a native Windows port of rdiff-backup. I've
> succeeded so far in building librsync and rdiff-backup's cmodules, as
> well as fixing rdiff-backup's fs_abilities checks. What I'm running up
> against now is that there seems to be a lot of assumptions that the
> directory separator is "/", which obviously doesn't work on windows. I
> think that the correct solution is to memorize in either the Connection
> or RPath objects what the correct separator is, and use that everywhere.
> Does this seem like the correct solution? Has anybody else tried porting
> to Windows recently? There's an old page on the wiki with some
> high-level notes, but I couldn't find anything else.

Did you have a look at
http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.5/lib/module-os.path.html ?
Especially 'normpath(path)'.

In my opinion it would be best to have something like 'native directory
separators' that are just a 'translation' of the internally used
separators (UNIX style), like it's done in Qt
(http://doc.trolltech.com/4.3/qdir.html). So only each ported rdiff-backup
instance must know what it's running on, and nothing would change in the
communication.

You'll also have to deal with that strange 'drive' foo (mount point
designations, e.g. C:) - see 'splitdrive(path)' - that probably entails
modifications in also the non-ported rdiff-backup version.

> Also, is Windows support something that's desirable enough that patches
> for it would be accepted?

I'm just a user, can't speak for the developers - but I'd like it.

Cheers,
Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4