Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Permission denied errors on files that original

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Permission denied errors on files that originally have no user
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:47:59 +0100

> FWIW, I am actually unable to reproduce this in a testcase. Mode matches,
> owner matches, freebsd 7, zfs, same rdiff-backup. Local root, remote
> non-root. Would be interested to hear if anyone else has run into this.

I have investigated further. Long story short, the problem is triggered in
certain situations involving hard links. --no-hard-links makes the problem go
away.

I have attached a small script which creates an "old" and "new" directory
containing two files owned by root:wheel, with mode ---s--x--x. The script
must run as root (but of course, don't run it as root without looking at it -
even if you were to blindly trust it there are three things to change in it
at the top).

In the "old" directory, the two are copies. In the "new" directory, the second
file is hardlinked to the first.

Afterwards, the script runs rdiff-backup on old and then new. The second run
bails with the error I have reported.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'