Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff runs then stops without error output

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff runs then stops without error output
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:12:31 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Jeff,

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Latimer, Jeff wrote:

I am new to rdiff and not really strong in Linux so bear with me.

rdiff (1.1.5.4) is configured and running. It seems to run ok, but it will run for about 20 minutes then stops moving data. The rdiff-backup process is still running when I do a ps aux, but it is not using any processor cycles. It just sits there. I increased the verbosity level to 7 and viewed backup.log and it just shows the last file copied and nothing else - no error output or anything. /var/log/messages shows nothing, as does syslog. It is as if it is waiting for something.

Any ideas where I can look?

I reckon it's probably trying to back up a mounted filesystem that's not a real filesystem and contains virtual files that could confuse it. For example, /proc or /sysfs.

You could try running from the command line with -v 9. Pay close attention to the last line output, that may tell you what it's trying to back up.

If that doesn't help, try running the strace command on the running rdiff-backup process, which should tell you what system call it's hung up executing. If that doesn't help you, try posting the output here.

Cheers, Chris.
--