Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Tips/tricks for decreasing load?

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Tips/tricks for decreasing load?
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 17:03:16 +1100

Jason L. Buberel wrote:
Are there any tactics, tricks, configuration options, etc. that I can use to lessen the impact of rdiff-backup while it is running? What if I reversed the direction of the rdiff-backup command - initiated the backup on 'srv1' to 'srv4' - would that make a difference?

Seriously, the only thing I would suggest is get more RAM. Your java app is taking 1G by itself, and that leaves precious little for postgres or most importantly, filesystem buffers. The amount of swap you are using tells me that you are swapping pretty bad, and basically need more RAM. rdiff-backup is not that intensive on ram, or I/O for that matter (esp compared to rsync). However you are pushing some limits with your hardware I think. Either that or tell the JVM to note take so much - if it doesn't need it, change its startup variables (don't have them on hand) to consume less memory. This will leave much more for buffers, increasing performance of postgres and rdiff-backup greatly.

dave