Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bind/loop-mounted and cdrom filesystems, cache

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bind/loop-mounted and cdrom filesystems, cache usage.
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:46:26 -0500

Oliver Hookins wrote:
> rdiff-backup has options to exclude device files, FIFOs, other filesystems
> etc but what we'd find really useful is being able to exclude any
> filesystems that are bind mounted, cdroms (i.e. iso9660), or loop-mounted.
> Looking through Python docs I can't see any modules or any nice ways to do
> this programmatically.
>
> One possibility would be to parse /proc/mounts or
> other files where mount information is kept and check the paths of the files
> that are to be backed up but this seems hacky. Does anyone else have this
> requirement?

There's the --exclude-other-filesystems option. Scripted properly, that
might achieve what you want.

Parsing /proc/mounts is non-portable and susceptible to change. You
should do that in your backup script and generate --include/--exclude
options.

If you are on BSD, you can use the patch implementing a
--include/exclude-mount-type option (which I think is what you want). It
uses a BSD specific field in statfs to make it very easy to implement.
Since it is non-portable, you can get it from the Wiki:
http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/IncludeExcludeMountTypeOptions

> Also we are backing up a number of machines with very many small files (say,
> 12 million or so). This results in lots of statfs() operations on these
> files and the whole backup is very slow (mainly due to the server which has
> to run a number of backups simultaneously). I thought perhaps making more use
> of the inode cache would speed this up, but is there a better way of having
> these backups that need to compare mtimes of lots of files make use of disk
> or RAM?

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. rdiff-backup doesn't make
any statfs() calls.

Best,
Andrew

--