Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:36:13 +0100

Andrew,

On 17.01.08, Andrew Ferguson wrote:
> Steve White wrote:
> > Andrew,
> >
> > I have put the
> >     --exclude-sockets
> > flag into the run line, but problems persist (as reported on this list
> > by others).
>
> Strange. I'll have to look into that.
>
> > SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-03xPEO/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-4qHMp9/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-KT6gV6/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-LDecfv/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-jpogjm/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-nmtjj8/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-s2zl6H/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-ufvg5k/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError tmp/keyring-y5JMv9/socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock Socket error: AF_UNIX path too
> > long
> > SpecialFileError var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket Socket error: AF_UNIX path
> > too long
> > SpecialFileError var/run/iiim/.iiimp-unix/9010 Socket error: AF_UNIX path
> > too long
> >
> > I don't understand the complaint about the path being too long.
> > None of these file names itself is long...
>
> The limit on AF_UNIX paths is 107 characters (see the sockaddr_un
> structure in sys/un.h).  What is the path you are trying to back them up
> to? (the path to the backup mirror)

The backup all goes into a subfolder on the mirror machine.

I just counted 21 characters added to the path names.
So this isn't the cause of the error.

> It could also be that the increments are causing a problem (as
> rdiff-backup tries to remove them from the mirror, now that you are
> using the --exclude-sockets option)

I don't get that.

Is there an experiment I could try?

Thanks!

Steve White                                             +49(331)7499-202
Computer Programmierer                                    Zi. 35  Bg. 20
Astrophysikalisches Institut Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam

Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Peter A. Stolz

Stiftung privaten Rechts, Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: III/7-71-026