Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Warning: Extended attributes file not found

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Warning: Extended attributes file not found
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:20:34 -0500

Steve White wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting these warnings from rdiff-backup 1.0.5 in a SL 4.5 system.
>       Warning: Extended attributes file not found
> They contain no further information.
>
> The question came up on this list some years ago:
>       http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg00631.html
> but the only answer was that rdiff-backup couldn't handle long file names.
>
> I would suggest that the warning should also indicate which file triggered
> the problem.

Steve,

That Warning message (not an error!) is unrelated to that mailing list
post. That post is about a problem with long file names which is resolved.

The Warning message indicates that rdiff-backup cannot find the Extended
Attributes storage file, which is normally kept in rdiff-backup-data/ .
So yes, it is saying which file triggered the problem.

Did you perhaps change your rdiff-backup configuration between runs? Do
you have extended attributes setup on the server but not the client?
What does the -v5 option report?

Furthermore, I would recommend using the latest development version,
1.1.15, as it is quite stable and soon to become rdiff-backup 1.2.0.

Best,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden