Re: [rdiff-backup-users] KeyError exception

From: Austin Clements
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] KeyError exception
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:35:52 -0400

(My apologies for the double posting of the initial message)

Quoth Andrew Ferguson on Sep 09 at 11:54 am:
> Austin Clements wrote:
> > I recently changed my configuration for rdiff-backup 1.1.14 and have
> > started getting the following KeyError exception during the backup
> > process (the verbosity level 5 log can be found at the end).
>
> Austin,
>
> I've been able to run rdiff-backup just fine with something like:
>
> $ rdiff-backup address@hidden::/path/to/src address@hidden::/backup
>
> just fine using the regular setup.
>
> Unfortunately, KeyError's are some of the hardest bugs to track down
> since they depend on being able to recreate the conditions 'just so'.

*nods* That's why I don't even know where to begin on making a simpler
test case.

> You say that you "recently changed my configuration" -- can you please
> provide as many details as possible about the change?

Previously, I was using a remote source with a local destination, but
that was causing me problems with NAT's and mobility and scheduling
and such.  As soon as I tried to switch to using a "remote"
(localhost) source with a remote destination, I encountered this
KeyError problem.

> Also, try running with a higher verbosity, such as 8.

Attached.

> I'd like to help you resolve this problem, but I need more information
> in order to debug.

I'm happy to help.  I have a fair amount of experience debugging
Python, but no knowledge of the rdiff-backup source, so if you have
hints on where or how to start debugging it, I can dig into the code.

> Thanks,
> Andrew
>
> PS -- I know it's a long shot, but double-check that you don't have any
> old rdiff-backup installations lying around, such as in the
> lib/site-package dirs for old versions of python. Also try re-installing
> rdiff-backup (or simply deleting the *.pyc files in the rdiff_backup dir).

Nope.  All of the rdiff-backup-related files I have came from the
latest Debian package.  I also reinstalled the package on both sides
to rebuild the .pyc's, but to no avail.

--
Austin Clements                                          MIT/'06/CSAIL
address@hidden                         http://web.mit.edu/~amdragon/