Re: [rdiff-backup-users] checksum check like rsync's --checksum

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] checksum check like rsync's --checksum
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:00:58 -0400

Joost van den Broek wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I know there have been a few requests in the past for this feature and
> it's also mentioned on the wiki page as an unimplemented feature, but I
> was wondering if this one is going to make it in some next release. The
> reason I need checksum (simple sha1 hash will do) check is because I
> have multiple databases which mtime and size don't change while the
> actual data does. So until then, I've to stick with rsync.

Hi Joost,

As far as I know, no one is working on adding this feature.

However, a good bit of the infrastructure for implementing this is
already there. rdiff-backup already computes SHA1 hashes for files,
which are used by the --compare-hash and --verify options.

The --compare-hash option is pretty much equivalent to a "--checksum
--dry-run" option.

So, suffice to say: patches are welcome, and you've got a head-start for
this one.

Best,
Andrew

--