[rdiff-backup-users] First Try

From: Bill Bailey
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] First Try
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:29:40 -0500

In answer to some feedback I have gotten on my problems, I submit the
following info from http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/features.html

1. "rdiff-backup records file metadata [owner, permissions, etc] in a separate
file so that all information is preserved even if the destination file system
is missing features."

2. "Filesystem feature autodetection: People use rdiff-backup in many
different environments. The filesystem they want to back up may be on Linux,
Windows, or Mac. It may or may not be case sensitive, support characters
like ":", have resource forks, extended attributes, or access control lists.
Moreover, the file system they are backing up to may or may not support these
features."

"rdiff-backup tries to handle these situations automatically without the need
for switches like --acl --ea --no-ownership, etc. When run it will run tests
on both the source and destination filesystems to see what features each
supports like case sensitivity, changing uid/gid ownership, resource forks,
extended attributes, or access control lists. To see the results of this
testing, run rdiff-backup with verbosity 4 or higher, as in -v4."

Bill Bailey