Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup of changing files

From: Steven Willoughby
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup of changing files
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:02:46 -0600

Baldur Norddahl wrote:
Hi,

I want to use rdiff-backup with my Postgresql database. The problem is that the tool refuses to backup files that are changing.

The database is live and modifying the database files during the backup. This is fine, because I am using the PITR (point in time recovery) feature of Postgresql.

Using rsync works fine for this purpose. The database files will naturally be damaged on the target, because they changed during the copy. However, the database will create journal log files which can then be used to repair the backup.

All I need is a switch that tells rdiff-backup that it is ok that the target files will not be consistent.

What about copying the database files to /tmp first and then running rdiff-backup against that copy?

Steven