Re: [rdiff-backup-users] offsite service providers?

From: Greg Freemyer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] offsite service providers?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:25:48 -0400

On 3/15/07, Ty! Boyack <address@hidden> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Jonathan Sefton <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 14 Mar 2007, at 16:50, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>>
>> > Or know of another cost-effective way to get 200-500 GB of offsite
>> > storage for rdiff backups?  (I tend to have very small delta's so I'm
>> > won't need much bandwidth after the initial pass.)
>>
>> I've just started using rsync.net for this - http://rsync.net/ - they
>> currently support rdiff-backup 1.0.4.  Standard rate is $1.60 per GB
>> per month, but this is discounted to $0.80 per GB per month for
>> 400-999 GB.  So you'd be looking at maybe $400 per month - does that
>> count as cost effective?  (There are no bandwidth charges).
>> Excellent service so far.
>
> It does look like a good product and I like the RAID-6 storage.
>
> I'll think about the $400/month for 500GB.  Not outrageous, but more
> than I was hoping for.
>
> Greg
Greg,

I don't know much about rsync.net, so don't take anything I'm saying as
an attempt to steer you away from them.  However, from just a cost
perspective, it might be worth looking at colocating a server of your
own.  I'm guessing you have some experience setting up servers and
rdiff-backup, so you could take care of that part yourself, and ship a
server to a datacenter for them to plug in.

I've been lucky enough to not have to rent colocation space myself, but
I did recently look into it for another project.  We found a site in
Denver (http://www.icelab.com) that will host a server for
$55/month/Rack-Unit, with 10GB/month traffic (Traffic can be increased
pretty cheaply - $12.50/month for 10GB more).  So if you were to build a
1U box with mirrored 750GB disks (comfortably around $3k) you would come
out ahead in less than a year.  Naturally, there is a much larger
up-front cost since you have to purchase the server.  I don't know if
there is a steep setup fee at the colocation facility.

I would probably pre-sync all the data, then ship it to them to avoid
the big/slow initial transfer and be able to only send your rdiff-backup
deltas after they get it installed.

There is probably a similar service in your area - just search for
"colocation  1u" and you'll find a bunch of shops that are catering to
the small customer, rather than those that will colocate your complete
server rack.  Of course the big difference with rsync.net is that you
are responsible for all server/software maintenance, whereas rsync.net
does all that work and sells you a service.

*dislcaier*  I've never colocated anything.  If anyone has and wants to
correct me from experience, please do so!  I know this isn't a
colocation forum, but we are all in the world of backups, and the two
things seem to be pretty inseparable.

-Ty!

Ty!,

I had thought about that but it seems like overkill since in general
my backups only take minutes per day at 1am, but your right compared
to rsync.net it may make since.

I really expected to find a Virtual Private Server (VPS) vendor that
had small ram/bandwidth options, but with big disks at a reasonable
rate.  Especially since most of their CPU/bandwidth is likely idle in
the middle of the night it would seem to make sense to have VPS
options that target offsite online backup users.

If your not familiar with VPS, see the below examples
www.slicehost.com
http://www.vpslink.com/vps-hosting/
http://tektonic.net/unmanaged.html

We currently have a "slice" running CentOS from slicehost for our
webserver dev platform.  It's only $20/month, but it is also only
10GB, so not usable for this.

We get root ssh access and can admin it any way we want.  We just have
to use one of the few distros they have default images for.  Bump that
same VPS to 500GB and it would be perfect and we all know you can buy
that cheap (ie. $250 for a single disk, $500 for a mirror)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group