Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Exclude-sockets not working (Mac OS X)

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Exclude-sockets not working (Mac OS X)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 23:53:56 -0500

Ilari Scheinin wrote:
> I am running rdiff-backup with the --exclude-sockets option, but I am
> still getting this kind of error for every socket:
> ListError private/var/launchd/0/sock [Errno 1] Operation not
> permitted: '/private/var/launchd/0/sock'
>
> I am running rdiff-backup with sudo, and below is the output for ls:
>
> $ ls -l /private/var/launchd/0
> srwx------   1 root  wheel  0 Feb 19 10:18 sock
>
> Am I doing something wrong, or is the program not able to correctly
> detect sockets in this environment (HFS+ Journaled under Mac OS X
> 10.4.8)?
>
> I installed rdiff-backup using MacPorts:
> sudo port install rdiff-backup-devel (1.1.5)
> sudo port install py-xattr (0.2)

Ilari,

Good catch! If the user had extended attributes support enabled (as you
did), rdiff-backup tried to read/set the extended attributes on the
socket. However, sockets don't have extended attributes on Mac OS X or
Linux and this attempt generates an error. I have patched this in CVS
and the fix will be in the next release of rdiff-backup.

If anyone knows of a platform that DOES support extended attributes for
sockets, let me know and I'll include a finer-grained test.

Best,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden