[rdiff-backup-users] UGH! How can I fix "No usable temporary directory f

From: Arone Silimantia
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] UGH! How can I fix "No usable temporary directory found" ? (env var NOT POSSIBLE)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:20:06 -0800 (PST)

Same story, different month.

rdiff-backup works fine for one or two backups, and then all of a sudden I start getting this error message:

IOError: [Errno 2] No usable temporary directory found in ['/tmp', '/var/tmp', '/usr/tmp', '/']

I _do not have_ a /tmp or /var/tmp or /usr/tmp on the remote end.  My ssh login is jailed in a chroot, and that chroot does not have a /tmp of any kind.

Am I correct that it is complaining about the _remote_ /tmp ? (my local /tmp seems fine, and is not full)
.
Is it possible for me to tell rdiff-backup to put the temporary files somewhere else ? NO I DO NOT have the ability to set a ENV VAR on the remote side.  I can't log in interactively and I am in a jail.  I need to tell rdiff-backup _from my end_ to put the temp files in /some/remote/directory.

Can anyone help with this ?  I have asked this question several times over the last few months and get _nothing_ in response.  Is it just impossible to use rdiff-backup with a remote jail with no /tmp ?

Thanks.