[rdiff-backup-users] help with weird error ('CCPP index out of order')

From: David Hostetler
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] help with weird error ('CCPP index out of order')
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:29:27 -0500

I'm encountering a strange rdiff-backup error when using a remote source and a remote destination, but seemingly *NOT* on an initial backup (no rdiff-backup-data directory in the destination), only on subsequent backups.

Looking through the archives for this list, there are a couple of threads that seem related:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2006-06/msg00041.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/rdiff-backup-users/2004-12/msg00049.html

Here's a typical error trace (from the destination's backup.log):

Sending back exception CCPP index out of order: ('backup', 'hosts', 'backup', 'rdiff', 'etc', 'ssl', 'openssl.cnf') ('backup', 'hosts', 'fog', 'rdiff', 'etc', 'SlimServer_v6.3.0', 'CPAN', 'arch', '5.8', 'mipsel-linux', 'auto', 'DBD') of type exceptions.AssertionError: File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 334, in answer_request
    result = apply(eval(request.function_string), argument_list)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/backup.py", line 229, in patch_and_increment
    ITR(diff.index, diff)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/rorpiter.py", line 285, in __call__
    last_branch.fast_process(*args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/backup.py", line 617, in fast_process
    if self.patch_to_temp(rp, diff_rorp, tf):
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/backup.py", line 518, in patch_to_temp
    return self.matches_cached_rorp(diff_rorp, new)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/backup.py", line 530, in matches_cached_rorp
    cached_rorp = self.CCPP.get_source_rorp(diff_rorp.index)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/backup.py", line 418, in get_source_rorp
    assert index >= self.cache_indicies[0], \

That trace resulted from running the following:

rdiff-backup -v5 --print-statistics address@hidden::/raid/home address@hidden::/raid/backup/home

I.e. I'm trying to backup a large dir tree (home) from one server to a dir on the same server, issuing the command from a separate server. I'm issuing the command as user 'backup' - the same user as the destination, and *NOT* as root (the source user). Interestingly, I can issue a similar command, using different (smaller) directories, and it seems to work reliably.

If I switch to the backup server and run the following command locally, it works fine (even recovering from the previous failed attempt):

rdiff-backup -v5 --print-statistics address@hidden::/raid/home /raid/backup/home

The files and paths referred to in the first line of the error trace aren't consistent (i.e. it doesn't fail consistently at the same place). As mentioned in the first thread listed above, I checked /tmp on both the source and destination machines, and there are *no* rdiff related files (that I can find).

I'm using rdiff-backup v1.0.4 on both machines. Normally, I'd just update to the most recent version (stable or unstable) and see if the problem goes away -- but since both previous references of the (same?) problem are from versions prior to v1.0.4, I thought I'd run it past you guys first.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'll be happy to provide additional details that might shed light on the problem.

Thanks!

-hoss

David Hostetler
address@hidden