Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 22:55:09 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Corey,

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Corey Puffalt wrote:

 Exception '[Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '/mnt/backup/ibookbackups/private/var/db/Spotlight-V100/%2FVolumes%2Fftpmirror.sectoor.de''
>  raised of class 'exceptions.OSError':

What are the permissions on that directory? rdiff-backup has some problems with directories with weird permissions like d--x------, because it mirrors those permissions in the repository, and then finds that it can't access the directory on the next run.

The permissions on the backup side don't look problematic:

drwx------   2 corey corey 4096 Jun 27  2006
%2FVolumes%2Fftpmirror.sectoor.de

On my laptop the permissions look slightly different (could it be the x bit
is the problem?):

drw-------    2 root  wheel   68 Jun 27  2006
%2FVolumes%2Fftpmirror.sectoor.de

Is the issue with permissions a known issue that is being worked on or
should I create a bug report?

Yes, I think that is the problem. Without execute permissions on the directory, rdiff-backup cannot descend into it. Please do file a bug report.

Cheers, Chris.
--