Re: [rdiff-backup-users] [ANN] SafeKeep

From: Dimi Paun
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] [ANN] SafeKeep
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:16:30 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, February 7, 2007 02:46, David Kempe wrote:
> Hi Dimi,
> that looks great but there is no way I am going to use it if it has xml
> for the config files. I have a passionate hate for using xml in config
> files as do many sysadmins... just check out the low adoption of
> heartbeat 2 for verification of that :)

Thanks David for the feedback.

I must admit that I can understand you perfectly. I myself have a strong
bias against XML, for all the obvious reasons. We tried to use other
formats (such as YAML), but we discovered that people are not that familiar
with them, and we ended up having other problems.

We've grudgingly accepted XML in the end as a necessary evil :(

> if you want to reconsider the design, the nagios config file format with
> its ideas of inheritance is far superior and would map beautifully to
> this product.

I will check it out.

However, before shooting the idea from the start, I'd ask you to take
a closer look. XML is bad in part because of a silly culture developed
around it to add 1000% markup that nobody needs.

I believe we avoided that trap. Check it out, it's not all that difficult
to use, and it does have the slight advantage of being a well known (even
if hated sometimes :)) format.

> despite that, I will check it out :)

Thank you!

--