[rdiff-backup-users] Backup Ext3 -> Fat32: files randomly renamed...

From: Jean-Luc Ratté-Boulianne
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Backup Ext3 -> Fat32: files randomly renamed...
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 02:46:41 -0500

Hi folks!

I'm currently trying to backup some file from an ext3 partition to a
fat32 one. There's something strange happening: the name are changed.
I really suspect that there's character encoding problem there...

Excerpt from "mount" command:
/dev/hda6 on /home type ext3 (rw,user_xattr)
/dev/hda3 on /data1 type vfat (rw,iocharset=utf8,umask=007,gid=1000,uid=1000)

If i feed rdiff-backup with  mixed-case filenames:

address@hidden:~/books/LaTeX$ touch ThJeJ
address@hidden:~/books/LaTeX$ cd ..
address@hidden:~/books$ rdiff-backup LaTeX /data1/back.test2
Warning: hard linking not supported by filesystem at
/data1/back.test2/rdiff-backup-data
address@hidden:~/books$ cd /data1/back.test2/
address@hidden:/data1/back.test2$ ls
;084h;074e;074  rdiff-backup-data
address@hidden:/data1/back.test2$

As you can see, ThJeJ is changed to ;084h;074e;074. I have no problem
to restore the whole directory, but it's harder to distinguish files
without a proper filename.

Any idea?

Jean-Luc