Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What happens when you move files around?

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] What happens when you move files around?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:55:36 -0800 (PST)

as a one time hack, if you want to reduce the network bandwidth required
to move the 1GB file you could hardlink the oldfile to the newfile (and
leave the oldfile around for now) and then do a backup... rdiff-backup
will detect the hardlink and just hardlink the destination file in the
mirror without retransmitting the file.

however when you delete the oldfile and do another backup then you'll end
up with a reverse delta for the 1GB file... rdiff-backup has no way to say
"create it from this other file over here".

so basically you can just save yourself some network bandwidth, but not
backup-server disk space.

it really does beg the question... why can't rdiff-backup do this itself?
in general keeping track of all dev:inode pairs in a backup can consume
way too much memory (think 10s of millions of inodes on some
filesystems)... however it would seem possible to look around in the same
directory for a renamed file (i.e. log file rotation).

i hack around this by rotating my log files by date.

http://arctic.org/~dean/scripts/date-rotate

-dean