Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Suggestion for documentation change

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Suggestion for documentation change
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:28:11 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Michael Stucki wrote:

> Hi Dean,
>
> > actually i think the man page is totally misleading -- --no-compare-inode
> > affects *only* hardlinked files.  it doesn't affect any other files.
>
> Well, since it solved my problem, and since mounted shares are not
> hardlinked (right?) there must be some more effects...

nope it affects only hardlinks -- at least in 1.1.7:

here are the only two uses of compare_inode:

                        elif ((key == 'inode' or key == 'devloc') and
                                  (not self.isreg() or self.getnumlinks() == 1
or
                                   not Globals.compare_inode or
                                   not Globals.preserve_hardlinks)):
                                pass

and...

                compare_inodes = ((self.getnumlinks() != 1) and
                                                  Globals.compare_inode and
Globals.preserve_hardlinks)

in both cases files with only one link won't have their inode tested.

aha.  do the files on your mount have *zero* links?  this code really
should treat 0 the same as 1...

-dean