Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File missing from backup?

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File missing from backup?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:53:48 -0500

Kurt Yoder wrote:
> Hello list
>
> I recently found a file that should have been included in my rdiff
> backup but was missing. The file is my /usr/local/nagios/libexec
> directory.

Kurt,

I think it's pretty clear that your two directories are fairly out of sync:

A side-by-side diff with your 1st listing on the left gives us:

Nagios                                   <
check_apt-get                            <
                                         > check_clamd
check_maillog_spam                       <
                                         > check_mysql_query
                                         > check_nagios_db
check_postfix_mailq                      <
                                         > check_ssmtp
check_tw_cli                             <
                                         > eck-imap
                                         > eventhandlers

Here are my suggestions:

0) You are doing the backup as root, correct? If rdiff-backup can't read
the files/directories or execute the directories, it certainly can't
back them up.

1) Make sure that no other process is somehow writing over this
directory (eg, another instance of rdiff-backup from another server
perhaps?)

2) Look in the file_statistics and mirror_metadata files for references
to the files that *should* be in the backup repository, but aren't. Eg,
'Nagios' or 'check_apt-get'. If rdiff-backup finds metadata for them
that matches the file in /usr/local/nagios/libexec I think it will
blindly ignore the fact that the file doesn't exist in the repository.

3) Ask rdiff-backup to do a comparison with a higher verbosity, eg:

rdiff-backup -v5 --compare --exclude "blah blah blah" ns2::/
/backup/disk2/ns2/

Let us know what you find,

Andrew

--