[rdiff-backup-users] version mismatches and upgrade schedule ...

From: Ensel Sharon
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] version mismatches and upgrade schedule ...
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:55:03 -0400 (EDT)

I just noticed that the new version, 1.1.5 will not work against a server
running the old version, 1.0.4.

Out of curiousity, why was the new version not made compatible with
existing installations ?  It seems like compatibility would be a good
thing ... but I'm no expert.

So anyway, since:

1.1.5 client -> 1.0.4 server

does not function, I was considering upgrading my server to 1.1.5, but I
have a large number of clients that still have 1.0.4 on them, and I cannot
upgrade them all in the near term.  So before I upgrade my server, can
somsone confirm or deny that:

1.0.4 client -> 1.1.5 server

will continue working ?  Or will that fall apart too ?

FWIW, I see that a version prior to 1.0.4 refuses to do:

(older_than_1.0.4) client -> 1.0.4 server

So does that mean a version mismatch will always spell doom, no matter
what ?

Does the protocol really change that much between versions, or is this
some artifact of writing programs in python ... that they need absolutely
perfect version matching all the time or else kaboom ?

Comments ?