Re: [rdiff-backup-users] filename case - override safe behavior?

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] filename case - override safe behavior?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:03:20 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
> I just started to use rdiff-backup between a remote OpenBSD server and my
> local
> Mac OS X machine.  Absolutely ideal -- effortless, efficient -- with one
> issue.
>
> I have a situation where I'm pulling down trees of PHP files by other
> developers
> who mix case in their filenames, so upper-case characters are encoded by
> rdiff-backup when they're pulled down to my Mac to prevent conflicts, e.g.
> incLogon.php becomes inc;076ogon.php.
>
> But I have to maintain a working distribution of the software here, and this
> safe behavior breaks my local copy.
>
> In this particular situation, it is absolutely guaranteed that there will
> never
> be any case conflicts between filenames (mostly because the other developers
> also work on Mac OS X), so is there a way to turn off this default safe
> behavior
> and have filenames remain unchanged?

Alex,

You can use the option:

--override-chars-to-quote ''

(that's two single quotes next to each other) every time you use
rdiff-backup (eg, when backing-up, when restoring, etc.) to override the
default/safe behavior. I know this option is in 1.1.5, which has been
quite stable for me, but I'm not sure about 1.0.4.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden