[rdiff-backup-users] Descending into excluded directories?

From: Bret Martin
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Descending into excluded directories?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:36:26 -0400

I recently started using afuse and sshfs to mount remote directories on
my local system.  For example, remotebox:/ is available under
localbox:/home/bam/.sshfs/address@hidden/ .

Naturally, I would not like rdiff-backup to back up these remote
filesystems.  I have this line in my exclusion list:

        /home/*/.sshfs/

However, rdiff-backup descends into /home/bam/.sshfs/ anyway.  I think
that it is evaluating every single filename against the exclude list.
This makes the backup run take a very long time if I happen to have a
remote directory mounted at the time.  It's long even for one host,
never mind several.

Is this correct behavior?  Is there any way for me to stop rdiff-backup
from looking beneath that directory entirely?  I can't practically use
--exclude-other-filesystems because the local system has multiple
filesystems.

I am using rdiff-backup version 1.0.3.  (This was the last 1.0.x version
that I got before Debian for some reason began packaging 1.1.x even
though it is not the "stable" version.)

Thanks!

--Bret