Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff-backup restore from read-only file sy

From: J. Norment
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: rdiff-backup restore from read-only file system
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 18:06:56 -0500

Hopefully, this will only hit the list once.. been having some .. issues.. with posting only once.
( Sorry for the reposts. )

I'm using the current stable version (1.0.4) -- nothing fancy. And in this version, I'm able to restore by specifying the exact filename to restore.

Andrew Price wrote:
J. Norment wrote:
UnionFS looks great.  Unfortunately, I'm on an RPM based distro, so I
can't install .tgz w/o risking a dependency nightmare (as far as I
know) ...

>From a developer point of view, unionfs seems like overkill. I'd rather
not add another dependency to my package just to get around a read-only
file bug in another library.

I've done some testing with the restore command and it seems (as the
link you posted states) that it is possible to do the restores, it
just complains about not being able to write the log file.  I was able
to restore both a directory and a single file (as root).  I had what
seemed like permissions issues when I tried to restore as a user.  (It
errored and died.)  When restoring as root, however, it just
complained, but did not die.

Oh, really? I'll have to do some more testing now that things are more
stable.

Out of curiosity, what are you using to write to CD?

Nautilusburn (python bindings to nautilus-cd-burn). Although I've had a
few problems with it lately because the API is a moving target. You can
see my project (which I've recently adopted) at
http://andrewprice.me.uk/projects/pybackpack if you're interested in the
details.

Cheers

--