Re: [rdiff-backup-users] TypeError: "'NoneType' object is not callable

From: dean gaudet
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] TypeError: "'NoneType' object is not callable
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:57:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Jes Kasper Klittum wrote:

> Den 19/07/2006 kl. 19.53 skrev dean gaudet:
>

> > assuming that you were tracing the remote rdiff-backup then it appears to
> > be getting an EOF on stdin... which makes me think there's something going
> > on in the transport layer... not sure what though -- but you could do more
> > stracing.
>
> I was tracing the remote rdiff-backup session. It seems that it was reading a
> webalizer file, which might have changed at that exact moment, or could be
> removed to be replaced by another file (a cron job updates the stats). Could
> this result in an end of file? Could this be avoided?

that wouldn't cause an EOF on stdin... which is what rdiff-backup saw...

> > you could also try to figure out the tcp session port and then tcpdump
> > that session and look at what happens near the end -- see which side sends
> > the FIN first... then go strace the sshd on that side.
>
> It is sending on port 59297 - i am doing a tcpdump now. Should I strace the
> sshd pid or the rdiff-backup pid?

hopefully the tcpdump will show something...

because your local rdiff-backup is seeing an unexpected EOF and the remote
rdiff-backup is also seeing an unexpected EOF i think the problem is
likely the various processes and network between the two... so you may end
up having to strace the sshd, and even the shells (pstree -Alpu will help
you find all the involved processes).

> > this might help <http://arctic.org/~dean/circular.tar.gz> ... it's just a
> > buffer i tack on the end of strace outputs when i know there'll be a lot
> > of output and i only really need a few MiB of it at the very end to
> > diagnose the problem.
>
> Any usage help? I guess:

heh, no :)  i didn't even put in an install rule...

just type "make" to create the binary... and "nroff -man circular.1 |
less" to read the man page... there's an example on the man page.

or install them if you want:
        % install circular /usr/local/bin
        % install -m 644 circular.1 /usr/local/man/man1

-dean