Re: [rdiff-backup-users] newbie, mac os x

From: Peter Valdemar Mørch
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] newbie, mac os x
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:39:09 +0200

Enrique Vetere evetere-at-gmail.com |Lists| wrote:
Ok, then... maybe there is a safe alternative to backup to a remote windows server? Maybe enabling/installing some ssh server on windows (don't know if possible)?

Hi there,

I tried having a local rdiff-backup directory, and then rsync -ing that to the windows mount.

However, rdiff-backup handles windows kindof nicely. Windows drives do not allow filesnames containing the colon (:) character. Linux rdiff-backup creates lots of files whose names contain a colon.

When running rdiff-backup with my windows mount I did notice that those colons were replaced by semi-colon on the windows share before it got to the fsync problems. So apparently it rdiff-backup contains some special handling for the no-colons-allowed-on-smbfs situation. But dies later on fsync.

It would just be really, really, nice if use of smbfs was fixed somehow. Apparently the problem dates back to 2004.

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=smbfs&submit=Search%21&idxname=rdiff-backup-users&max=20&result=normal&sort=score
(or http://tinyurl.com/hjhx4 )

But there was no bug logged against this... Now there is - I just created one! :D

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=17055

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch