Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup vs. rsync(d) at the remote end

From: Jesse Reynolds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup vs. rsync(d) at the remote end
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:06:01 +1000

One word of warning ... don't try this on a HFS+ filesystem! (as standard on Mac OS X). Because the Hard Link implementation does not deal at all well with more than the occasional "multiple linked" filed on this FS. I tried this with rsync --link-dest on an HFS+ volume (before I discovered rdiff-backup) and the disk ground to a halt. It started taking about six hours to do a "du" or "find" over my backup directory where it was only taking about 5 minutes previously.

Cheers
Jesse