Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup vs. rsync(d) at the remote end

From: roland
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup vs. rsync(d) at the remote end
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 16:09:48 +0200

hi!

mhhh - still wondering here and spending thoughts over and over again...

As far as I can see, there are a lot of reasons for using a server on
the receiving side.

yes - but why does this need rdiff-backup as server? rsync can run as a server, too.

One of them is storage of metadata, the most
important however is keeping a history using 'reverse' diffs.

mhh - but metadata is only stored on the backup-machine within the rdiff-backup repository. nothing on the client side. rdiff-backup just pulls the data and metadata from the backup client. whatever data/metadata rdiff-backup needs on the receiving side for storing this - an rsync daemon on the remote site should be able to "deliver" this (imho - in theory).

does somebody have a clue what's different "on the wire" between rsync and rdiff-backup ?

it´s gets a bigger problem for me, because i cannot install rdiff-backup on many remote machines and so i need to create a local copy via rsync and rdiff-backup'ing it afterwards.
this doubles storage and isn`t very optimal.

ok, i know that i can convert a rsync mirror with "-b --force" into a rdiff-backup repository - but
i`m not allowed to rsync afterwards.

Actually, take a look at Duplicity and you will see a nice example of what you are looking for.
thanks. maybe , fusessh is also worth looking at....

regards
roland

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerard van Dijnsen" <address@hidden>