Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError, UpdateError

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError, UpdateError
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:16:53 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Felix,

But I don't plan to use rdiff-backup any longer, anyway: As said before it takes approximately an hour when running the backup on 6 to 7GB of data, even when the changes comprise only a few MB of data. The destination is a LinkStation (a 400 MHz MIPSel computer with the backup HD) and, as it looks, its CPU is utilized more than 90% during that hour.

Sorry, it's well known that rdiff-backup takes longer than it should to back up. Unfortunately nobody has been able to fix it yet, but I expect it will happen soon. For what it's worth, I backup about 30 GB every night between several machines, and since it runs overnight, I don't mind that it takes about four hours.

I wonder whether I should simply revert to "rsnapshot" or "star" for doing backups, the latter making it very simple and safe to encrypt and move around backup data (e.g. to copy it to DVDs) as it is stored in TAR archives (which are a bit of a pain when playing back data, though).

Did you decide against Box Backup?

Cheers, Chris.
--