[rdiff-backup-users] Ok to mirror on top of existing rsync mirror?

From: Matt England
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Ok to mirror on top of existing rsync mirror?
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 07:04:23 -0500

Hello,

Can I use rdiff-backup to incrementally-backup a data set to an already-rsync-mirrored copy of said file-system data set?

I don't want to have to re-mirror everything that's already be done with the rsync copy, but I do want to acquire incremental data "delta" management with my next (or at least future) mirror sync.

Some basic rdiff-backup tests I have run with smaller data sets suggest this will work ok. What do the subscribers to this email list think?

More details:

I am a new rdiff-backup user but an experienced rsync user. I have current rsync "backups" (ie, mirrors) of several data sets, mostly local "snapshot" copies from disk-to-disk on a single computer (although I rotate the mirrored-to disks so that I have isolated/remote storage for some of my snapshots so that I am protected against some level of disaster like hardware theft, fire, etc).

In my current rsync usage paradigm for my data sets does not include automated, incremental backup. To save file revisions in time, I simply make multiple rsync mirror copies, a process that is woefully inefficient with storage space, among other things (finding point-in-time restore points of a full data set or individual files, etc).

Does anyone see a problem with this?

-Matt