[rdiff-backup-users] possible memory leak on restore

From: Mike Weisenborn
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] possible memory leak on restore
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 14:51:13 -0400

I have a fairly good-sized (34G) backup set of which 17G or so is the
current data, and another 17G is the last 30 days of incrementals.

I'm trying to create a snapshot of this data in another location by doing
this:

   rdiff-backup -r now /target0/backups/host /snapshot/20060523/host

The problem is, it runs until it gets about 8.4G restored, and then
memory usage grows from about 90M to about 520M. At that point it
basically grinds to a halt (swapping).

I ran it with verbosity of 9 and nothing looked out of the ordinary at
the time when it basically stopped.

The backup set was created with rdiff-backup v1.0.1, so I upgraded to
v1.0.4 to see if that would help, which it did not (changelog didn't
seem to indicate it would, but I figured I'd try).

In addition, I'm running against librsync-0.9.7

This is on a gentoo host which is fairly up to date with everything.

Thanks for any suggestions

--
Mike Weisenborn, Senior Partner
address@hidden 770-886-0443 www.clearbuilt.com

Clearbuilt Technologies - consulting, development and education
for the real estate and construction industries