[rdiff-backup-users] problem with chmod 0 directories

From: The Anarcat
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] problem with chmod 0 directories
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:35:52 -0400

Hello,

I have a problem running rdiff-backup over a directory which has a mode
of 0. The source directory is read as root so that poses no problem, but
the target directory is written as a regular user, so I get a:

  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line
334, in Backup
    backup.Mirror_and_increment(rpin, rpout, incdir)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/backup.py", line
51, in Mirror_and_increment
    DestS.patch_and_increment(dest_rpath, source_diffiter, inc_rpath)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py",
line 448, in __call__
    return apply(self.connection.reval, (self.name,) + args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py",
line 370, in reval
    if isinstance(result, Exception): raise result
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/backup/target/foo'
Fatal Error: Lost connection to the remote system

Indeed, the directory foo is chmod 0, both on source and target. Of
course, it can't write on target, so the backup fails.

This is a real problem here because we sometimes use chmod -R 0
<directory> to disable sections of the system as root.

Any ideas on how to deal with this?

A.