Re: [rdiff-backup-users] installing rdiff-backup on mac os x

From: Scott Lamb
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] installing rdiff-backup on mac os x
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:57:03 -0700

On May 12, 2006, at 9:37 AM, Elliot Adler wrote:
as per the faq's the recommanded way of installing rdiff-backup on os x is via a program called "fink" as per the "fink" website the fink/sourceforge has been down since the end of 03/06

fink's not down. Read their website more closely - the rsync way works.

can anybody advise if there any other ports of rdiff-backup to mac os x

You can install it by hand in the usual way. I don't think there's any porting necessary. fink just provides packaging so you can type "fink install rdiff-backup" and watch it go.

because I use an apple xserver raid as a remote storage box and I would love move form rsync to rdiff backup

secondly Can anybody confirm the only time the remote server has to be running a copy of rdiff-backup is when you backup via a ssh tunnel but if I just mount the os x share via the mount command on linux I will not need to be running the 2nd copy of rdiff-backup?

Correct.

Thirdly is there any know issues between rdiff saving the files to a mac os x server?

Not known to me, anyway.

Thank  you very much