[rdiff-backup-users] Troubles with --include-list and --exclude-list opt

From: Peter Bosgraaf
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Troubles with --include-list and --exclude-list options
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 15:57:44 +0200

Hi,

I am fairly new to rdiff-backup and i'm having some troubles configuring
the following:

I'm trying to build and unattended backup script for our hosting
facility. The backup is initiated from the backup server. By default i
want to include everything from the remote server, which if i read the
documentation correctly is default behavior when i specifiy address@hidden::/

Now what i want to do is create an override possibility per host. I'm
using the following syntax to (hopefully) accomplish that:

rdiff-backup    --verbosity 5 \
                --print-statistics \
                --exclude-filelist /backup/exclude/$i \
                --include-filelist /backup/include/$i \
                address@hidden::/ /backup/lun/$i

$i is the variable for the remote host which i should backup.

The trouble i'm experiencing is when i try to do the inverted. So what i
thought was possible (with the same command line options) is to exclude
everything by entering a "/" in the exclude file, and include just the
paths i wanted to backup in the include file.

I've been puzzling for some hours now, shifing precedence etc ...

Could anyone show me the magic? or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

--

---
Peter Bosgraaf  //  CTO             //  WIAF

PGP KeyID: 0x03B8A390 (hkp://pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: 5EAE B983 453A B640 F7BA  74C7 B6FA 854D 03B8 A390

necessarily a good idea.