Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 21:27:57 -0600

> Thanks! It seems like we've gone past the sanity-checking part. But
> unfortunately I had one more error before finishing the backup. I happened
> to have a symlink in the source directory, and it gives this error when
> processing the file:
> SpecialFileError subpixelview [Errno 1] Operation not permitted
> UpdateError subpixelview Updated mirror temp file
> rdiff-backup is checking the destination directory properties. Isn't it
> also checking if the target supports symlinking? I got this list at the
> beginning:
> It says hard linking, but nothing about symlinking..

It looks like your backup completed successfully.  For various
reasons, there is no test to see if various special files can be made.
Instead, failures to make special files like symlinks should raise
SpecialFileErrors.  See

http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/error_policy.html

for more information.  So getting that SpecialFileError is the
intended behavior.  The only problem is that you also get an
UpdateError, which is unnecessary, but doesn't seem like a very
serious flaw.

Does the symlink restore correctly?