Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?

From: Cengiz Gunay
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff to SMB share?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:24:33 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Ben Escoto wrote:

> > IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> > 'emory/cgunay/home_backup/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.3/5-_ a.'
>
> rdiff-backup is failing during the "sanity check" phase, where it just
> does some basic stuff to a directory and makes sure the results make
> sense.  In this case it seems it is trying to touch the file mentioned
> in the error message, and its failing with ENOENT.
>
> Maybe after it fails you can try creating that file, and see if it
> works.

Yes, you're right. I tried creating the file manually with:

  $ touch '5-_ a.'
  touch: cannot touch `5-_ a.': No such file or directory

but, the same works with '5-_ a.a'. The filesystem is a remote Windows
share. It doesn't seem to accept files with empty space after a dot. If I
try to do this from a Windows machine, it simply ignores the trailing dot
and makes a file with no dots in it. This seems to be a general rule in
Windows, it doesn't matter where I create the file, it doesn't seem to
accept the dot to be the last character in a file name.

Would it be possible to add this condition to the sanity check in
rdiff-backup?

Thanks,
Cengiz Gunay
--
address@hidden  address@hidden (MSN)    address@hidden
Lab: +1-404-727-3565    Home/Cell: +1-678-559-8694